In Memory

Clive Shenton

Clive Shenton was an affable and quietly humourous schoolmate.  At school he was active in the dramatic society and the debating society, and he also maintained a lively interest in national poltics. From his earliest days at DHS he expressed a determination to attend Sandhurst Military Academy in England. Despite the odds, Clive went on to achieve this remarkable schoolboy ambition. After getting his commission from Sandhurst he served as an officer in the Black Watch, where he became Commanding Officer of his company, and then in the Parachute Regiment, where he was again company Commanding Officer. One of his fellow officers reports that Clive was "one of the most amusing men I ever met".  During his time in the army Clive represented some soldiers in military courts, and discovered that he possessed a considerable legal talent. He decided to change careers, and after studying law at the University of Edinburgh he was admitted to the Scottish bar in 1975.  For a while Clive lived in London, where he was admitted to the English bar and practiced at the Middle Temple, but he preferred Scottish life and returned to Edinburgh. There he practiced law with such success that he rapidly took silk as a Queens Counsel in 1990. He also entered politics and became chairman of the Edinburgh Conservative Association. In 1983 and 1987 he was the Conservative Party candidate for Dunfermline East -- losing the seat both times to the future Prime Minister Gordon Brown. In 1998 he was appointed a "Sheriff" (which in Scotland is judge who hears a wide range of  civil and criminal cases).  To the great shock of those who knew him, Clive took his own life in Edinburgh on 29 August 1994, at the age of 47.  He was survived by his parents and sister.

(Contributed by Ian Robertson)


In his schooldays Clive was a keen yachtsman, sailing his dinghy "Alcasta" out of the Point Yacht Club (it was probably one of those infamous snub-nosed Cadet class dinghies that the junior club members used to sail!).  One day he and I were sailing in the vicinity of the sugar terminal end of Maydon Channel when a southwesterly buster hit us, and soon we were baling as the wind waves splashed into the cockpit.  Then we discovered that Clive had forgotten to put the bungs in, and that the forward compartment was filling with water.  We realised that we were sinking, and jumped out, clinging to the hull and hoping that the Harbour Police would rescue us.  Eventually they did, and we were ignominiously towed back to the PYC.  The following Monday, in class, Clive presented me with the "Alcasta Cross" - a medal he had fashioned out of a coin covered with silver paper and a piece of red ribbon, modeled on the George Cross.  He announced that the award was being made to me for "bravery at sea."

I still have the medal!

(Contributed by Stuart Clark)


  Post Comment

06/26/12 03:13 AM #1    

Arthur Godbeer

I was introduced to sailing by Clive when he and I were classmates at Prep.  (I later started sailing mostly dinghies and to some extent keelboats at UNDYC and RNYC.)  I can remember sailing with Clive to the beach at Salisbury Island (yes, the beach!) and buying a cooldrink at the kiosk before sailing back to PYC.,

  Post Comment